It’s been a while since my last post but even though I’ve been away, it doesn’t mean I’ve been neglecting things especially when in comes to all things naturist. In my March post “Family Orientated Paradise” I mentioned Arcadians and it is here we’ve spent a lot of the time either working or spending the occasional day lazing around in the sun. The weather has finally relented and for about the last six weeks we’ve had prolonged spells of normally dry weather. I mentioned that I’d started work on redecorating the shower room and this I completed before going on to the toilet block, both are now finished and look much better than they did earlier on in the year. As with most members clubs in the UK ,the members are asked to volunteer to help maintain the grounds at work parties and this we did.
In March I helped with some tidying up and Ginny helped breaking up some old fence panels, while in April Ginny painted a shed while I helped with more general cleaning tasks. All in all these work parties got the place looking ship shape so when the sun did appear we were able to sunbathe and also get the odd game of pétanque in using our new pétanque set purchased at Christmas. Once a year around early April time members pay their yearly fees and pick up a new gate key at “key change day” while also taking time, catching up with people they haven’t seen since the previous summer.
At Arcadians there are a number of Chalets and member can buy these from other member when they do occasionally come up for sale. These do resemble garden sheds a little, but most have cookers and lighting and are vary handy for overnight stays for those who like a little more comfort than a tent. The first shelter built in the late 1950s early 1960s were made from waxed paper over a wooden frame,so these ‘cabinchaletsheds’ offer real comfort with most having at least a fold up bed if not a full double bed.
We’ve been members for nearly three years now, so we thought it would be a good time to put our name on the chalet list and when number 21 became available we snapped it up. It did have a leaky roof, so after about a week we set to working fixing some of the problems. Luckily Ginny had a week off in between jobs, so we managed to spend most of the week at the club, most of it in glorious sunshine. The first thing was to have a look at the roof and once I’d removed the tarpaulin I saw what the problem was, ridging and possible tearing of the existing roof felt. It was then a toss up whether to take the whole roof off or to felt over the existing roof covering. In the end I chose the later and with the help of the guy in the chalet next door managed to waterproof it and it even didn’t leak after a torrential downpour later in the week.
After that i repaired the back box which had all but collapsed then after that we decided on a colour change from a stodgy brown to green. As my 4square profile relays it wasn’t an easy change. Firstly white primer,then many coats of ronseal which didn’t do as it said it did on the tin. All that seem to happen was that the Ronseal paint smeared itself on and didn’t dry at all well.
” I’m up for a health kick bring on the smoothies !”
After two more coats Ginny was fed up and after talking to others we came to the conclusion that multi surface paint was the only thing that would do the trick. Dulux came to the rescue in the form of its Buckingham Green all in one…which managed to cover the other mess rather well we thought. We’ve still the inside to redecorate and also the window frames to do but at present we are quite pleased with the results of our still nameless chalet so far.